Sunday, March 11, 2012

BUSY IS GOOD, RIGHT?

Yet again another busy week. My roots/cage/basswood piece is in the long sanding phase and I went looking at different types of wood for the egg that will be encased and have fallen in love with the ebony and ivory wood. That wood is pretty expensive, but beautiful and I think it will be worth the price.

So far, this is what I have done for my silverware set. My original idea was to make a Satanic silverware set; however, with the deadline approaching, I've decided to just work with spikes and distortions. I personally am not Satanic, but the whole idea of it fascinates and humors me so I would like to imagine that this set would be something Satan, himself, would use.

Another project I'm currently working on is turning a rattle. The rattle itself is pretty basic, so I wanted to use a hard wood, like walnut, and sand it to perfection, and then put a finish on that will make it look as if it were made out of stone instead of wood... obviously this piece for me is more about craftsmanship over concept. I'm a bit in love with the wood itself and the whole process of turning. I've always found turning to be very therapeutic and this summer I will be saving up for my own lathe. Also, this wood has been so beautiful to work with, very moist and colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment